The Inland Valley Humane Society's mission is to place all adoptable animals into permanent, loving homes. Here are a few simple, but necessary steps to adopt a pet at the Inland Valley Humane Society.
Adoption hours are:
10:00 - 5:30 Monday through Saturday
10:00 - 7:00 Wednesday
- An approved adoption application is required before any adoption can take place. One will be given to you to complete after you have found a pet you may want to adopt.
- Allow extra time for the adoption process. This is a 'Companion for Life' and should not be taken lightly. Every precaution is being taken to help you make the right choice for your new family member.
- A short interview with the adoption counselor may be required before any adoption is approved.
- A health exam by our staff veterinarian is required before any adoption is approved. All approved adoptions appear healthy with no visible signs of illness at the time of adoption.
- Adoptions begin at 10:00 a.m. If you have a specific pet you are interested in, make sure to arrive around 9:45 a.m. on the day it becomes available to fill out the adoption application. Be aware that more than one person may be interested in the same pet. In these cases, there will be a drawing for all approved applications. This ensures fairness to all approved interested parties.
- If you have children or other pets at home, it may be required to bring them in for a socialization session to ensure everyone gets along. Make sure your pet at home is current on all its vaccinations before bringing it into the shelter.
- Be aware that adoptions are denied at times for various reasons. That may simply mean looking for a different type of pet than the one chosen. IVHS is trying to make sure both the new pet and the new owners are compatible.
If you find a pet you are interested in adopting, ask for assistance in the pet receiving area. Write down the following: